Obtaining a Business Tax Certificate - formerly known as a "Business License"
All organizations, corporations, LLCs, sole proprietorships, partnerships, and contractors operating from a home, a commercial or office building, or doing temporary business within city limits is required to file a Business Tax Certificate. Depending on the scope of your business, this process could be a snap or require a bit more preparation. Some questions to consider before you head over to City Hall at 595 Harbor Street:
- Will my business require parking?
- Am I changing the use of my home, commercial or office space from one type to a different type?
- What's the square footage of my space?
- Will I be doing any construction work to prepare my space for my business to get started?
- Am I ready to provide a floor plan drawn to scale if required?
Once your application has been submitted, it will be forwarded to other City departments including Community Development, Fire, plus Harbor or Police if required, for approval.
Download a template application here for a peek into what information you'll need for a successful process. And never hesitate to contact Tracy McConnell, Account Clerk in the City of Morro Bay's Finance Department, for detailed information.